February 21, 2011

Chicken Pesto and Mozzarella Bagel



For me, this is the ultimate and best way to eat a bagel. I used to eat one very similar to this from a bagel cafe beside my University. I really cannot recall how many of those I ate during my college years...A lot, but it never got old  :-)

It was called 'The Italian Job', although they used to put mayonaisse and red onion on it too. I don't think this bagel needs that many flavours to make it delicious. Chicken and pesto is a classic combination and buffalo mozzarella is fabulous with both. For a slight change I like to use smoked chicken breast, which really complements the other flavours. But this will taste great with plain chicken as well.


100-125g smoked chicken breast, sliced
1 tbsp green pesto
50g buffalo mozzarella, sliced
1 wholewheat bagel

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Prepare the bagel. Layer the ingrediants - chicken first, pesto, mozzarella, and a little more pesto if you like.

Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Check that the bagel has become crisp on the outside and that the mozzarella has begun to melt.

Enjoy!!

Also, try this with a different flavoured pesto. Sun-dried tomato pesto or chili pesto are delicious as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment