November 15, 2010

Roast Beef Tomatoes with Garlic and Basil Topping

I find I use cherry tomatoes and baby plums in cooking a lot because I love the sweetness they add to dishes. But I feel that I have neglected the other tomato varieties! Good beef tomatoes can be hard to get as they are often lacking in flavour, but a good, ripe beef tomato can be roasted to make a great side dish. I add a little topping to it in this dish for some added oomph.


Serves 2

2 ripe beef tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp of breadcrumbs
1 tsp of chopped basil

Preheat the oven to 180 C

Slice the tops of both tomatoes and discard.

Mix the breadcrumbs, garlic, and basil in a bowl. Press down onto the top of each tomato.

Place in a oven dish and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Makes a delicious accompaniment to roast chicken or baked fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment